ALL SMHA Managers must fill out a Coaching staff application in order to be placed on a team
Coaching staff APPLICATION LINK
At no time are you to contact Hockey Calgary. SMHA and Hockey Calgary have provided you with multiple levels of support for asking questions and seeking resources. Please contact your League chair, AGC Communications coordinator, or SMHA Operations. A full description of these roles can be found below.
- Hockey Calgary's Important Dates
- SMHA Important Dates
- This PDF is designed to help managers understand the key Hockey Calgary Important dates as they relate to our teams.
- Game Play Guideline
- This guide is designed to give managers and coaches a high level of understanding of how a game is run in each age group - be sure to print this and have it on hand at all games
- High points
- age group game max
- home/away jersey colors
- official's box responsibility
- Handshake protocol
- setting the clock for periods inside a set permit time
- Team Volunteer Roles (delegate, delegate, delegate)
- Team Treasurer Role
- Scotiabank Account process
- Treasurer & Manager are to notify SMHA Operations that they require an SMHA Team account Letter
- Jersey Parent Role
- Tournament volunteer role - Away
- Tournament volunteer role - Home
- Social events volunteer
- Off-ice Official' Box - assigner (see below Off-ice Officials Box section)
- Team Treasurer Role
- SMHA Managers Manual (coming soon)
- Understanding your many login portals (TS, HC, OCI, etc)
- Hockey Calgary Manager Portal (coming soon)
- How to login
- How to upload home game sheets
- How to apply for an Exhibition game
- How to apply for a Special Events Sanction
- How to apply for a Travel Permit
- How to upload away tournament game sheets(required for all away tournaments)
- How to apply for a Scheduling window
- One-Click-Ice (OCI) Manual
- How to Trade ice
- How to release ice
- How to upload practice ice into Teamsnap
- U9 Resources
- Other Resources
- Hockey Calgary Officials Rates (2022-23)
- TeamSnap Welcome guide for members
- TeamSnap How to add family or contacts
- SMHA Apparel Policy
- U7 Timbits Game Schd outline
- Roster Labels (Excel) (2" by 4" labels printed horizontally)
- Roster & Parents Names Wallet Card (Excel)
- Hockey Calgary Tournament information
- Hockey Calgary Tournament Policy
- Tournament FAQ
- Hockey Calgary Regulation Handbook
- Hockey Canada - Safety Essentials Downloads
- Hockey Canada Injury Report (link is on the Parent tab)
- this form is a medical injury report needed to access Hockey Canada insurance.
- It is the responsibility of the injured party (player Parent or Guardian) to fill this form out and submit it via the instructions at the bottom of the form.
- That is why the form is on the Parent tab
- At NO TIME shall a Manager or Coach handle this form for processing. It is the sole responsibility of the injured party.
- SMHA only asks that a player has a letter from a doctor clearing them for "return to play" - this letter is NOT to be kept by the Manager or Coach, it only needs to be presented at the time of return
Off-Ice Officials Box (Scorekeeping, Time Clock and Penalty gate)
- Hockey Calgary's Off-Ice - Operation Manual
- Pre-game checklists
- how to run different arena clocks
- how to fill out a scoresheet
- U9 Manager/Coach/Scorekeeper In-game Cheat Sheet
- how to fill out U9 game sheets
- timekeeper instructions
- Buzzer Grid
- Game player roster Grid
- Goaltender Rotation Form
- Hockey Calgary's Off-Ice Officials webpage resource
- score clock manuals can be found there
League Chair, Governor, SMHA AGC Communications and SMHA Operations
At no time are you to contact Hockey Calgary, SMHA and Hockey Calgary have provided you with multiple levels of support for asking questions and seeking resources.
- League Chair (link to the list of League Chairs on HC Website)
- Hockey Calgary volunteer role.
- It is the duty of the League Chair to supervise and direct the conduct of the teams, managers, coaches, players and spectators coming under his/her jurisdiction. He/she has the authority to rule on any team, team official, or spectator who contravenes or breaks any of the rules and regulations established by Hockey Calgary
- The League Chair assists all teams in a specific Age Group and Tier
- ie. All teams in U11 Tier 4
- Team Managers/Head Coaches have direct contact with their appointed League Chair
- The League Chair is your final word on games rules, such as suspension needing to be served etc
- The League chair disseminates Hockey Calgary information as it pertains to your Age Group and Tier
- Governor (link to the list of Governors on the HC Website)
- Hockey Calgary volunteer role.
- It is the duty of the Governor to supervise and direct the League Chairs under his/her jurisdiction. He/she has the authority to rule on any team, team official, or spectator who contravenes or breaks any of the rules and regulations established by Hockey Calgary
- Governors oversee an entire Age Group of League Chairs
- ie. All of U11
- Governors report directly to Hockey Calgary on behalf of the Age Group
- Governors can have direct contact with individual teams but you are asked to communicate with your appointed League Chair first
- SMHA AGC Communications
- SMHA has an AGC communications role in all 6 Age Groups (U7, U9, U11, U13, U15, U18)
- This role is designed to support our Managers in each of the specific Age groups and to bring consistency to our manager group in regards to SMHA policies and Hockey Calgary regulations.
- This role is for SMHA Managers to utilize first and foremost when questions on "how-to" or "what should I do" arise
- In the absence of an answer, the AGC Comm. will inquire with SMHA Operations.
- SMHA Operations
- Operations' role is to oversee the AGC Comm. to ensure consistency is maintained in our manager groups
- Operations will host Age Group-specific manager training meetings to ensure consistency is met within SMHA
- Operations will act as the go-between with SMHA and Hockey Calgary when seeking answers for the SMHA membership
- Operations will set up the individual Teams in Teamsnap (TS) software such as
- Rostering players for Team placement announcements
- Rostering non-players (Manager, Head Coach and Assistant Coach)
- Set the Manager to have full control of the TS team portal and keep it maintained (entering games, practices and events)
- Players/Parents have full responsibility for maintaining their private player accounts and SMHA Operations will not edit or touch these account
- Operations will provide access and training to the ice scheduling software One-Click-Ice (OCI)
- from time to time Operations may download the practice and or game in Teamsnap for the managers
- Managers are free to contact SMHA Operations but it is preferred they contact their AGC Comm. first in order to maintain information consistency.
Away TOURNAMENT - How to find one
The below links are where you will find tournaments approved to be hosted in Alberta's Minor Hockey Associations(MHA), each tournament coordinator has their own unique way of posting either on the Hockey Calgary Website or the Hockey Alberta Website so you are encouraged to check both.
Be mindful that only hosting Calgary teams have access to the Hockey Calgary listings as all teams in Calgary hosting a tournament anywhere (even outside of AB) are required to be sanctioned by Hockey Calgary first.
Hockey Calgary has rules and regulations for all Calgary teams hosting or attending tournaments and you are required to understand and follow those policies (links to these are found in the toolbox above)
If you are looking to travel outside of Alberta to play a non-Alberta hosting team you will need to search the web for the location you desire, for example
When searching for Tournaments to attend you need to be aware of Hockey Calgary's important dates and when our teams are permitted to travel
- Pre-season - Travel permitted required - no limitations
- Seeding Round - BLACKOUT, NO travel permitted
- Season Break - Travel permitted required - no limitations
- Regular Season - Only one opportunity to travel must be submitted in advance, the deadline is called the Scheduling Window.
- ESSO Minor Hockey Week - BLACKOUT, NO travel permitted
- Winter Break - Travel permitted required - no limitations
- City Championships - BLACKOUT, NO travel permitted
- Post-season - Travel permitted required - no limitations
Springbank Minor Hockey Home tournament Info
Springbank Minor Hockey Association secures ice & sanctioning for the below SMHA home teams where ice and Hockey Calgary regulations permit.
SMHA U13, U15 and U18 teams must enter a lottery draw held at our AGM because ice & HC regulations have the largest impact on the availability of these teams
- Teams unsuccessful in the lottery draw are permitted to secure and sanction their own tournament if the interest is there
SMHA runs its home tournaments with follow-through financing and the Home hosting team(s) must cover the incidental costs invoiced by SMHA. The home host team(s) are free to set their fee entry.
- Cost cover referees, ice, SMHA medals (U9, U11, U13), and "swag" drawstring bags (U9, U11)
SMHA Home Tournament Format & Rules
- SMHA Tournament Format & Rules (U9) PDF (coming soon)
- SMHA Tournament Format & Rules (All age groups) PDF (coming soon)
|2022-23 SMHA Home||Tournament Schedule|
|Timbits (U7) Young Guns||Jan 13th - 15th||Jr 4-games|
|U9 1||Mar 3rd-5th||6 team round-robin|
|U9 2||Mar 3rd-5th||4 team email@example.com|
|U9 3||Mar 10th-12th||6 team round-robin|
|U9 4||Mar 10th-12th||6 team round-robin|
|U11 HADP||Oct 7th-9th(possible Thanksgiving Monday)||4 team round-robin |
|U11 1||Oct 7th-9th(possible Thanksgiving Monday)||4 team round-robin |
|U11 2||Sept 30th-Oct 2nd||4 team round-robin |
|U11 3||Oct 14th-16th||4 team round-robin |
|U11 4||Sept 30th-Oct 2nd||4 team round-robin |
|U11 5||Oct 7th-9th(possible Thanksgiving Monday)||4 team round-robin |
|U13 2||Nov 25th-27th||4 team firstname.lastname@example.org|
|U13 5||Dec 2nd-4th||4 team email@example.com|
|U15 NBC 2||Nov 25th-27th||4 team round-robin||U15.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|U15 NBC 4||Dec 2nd-4th||4 team round-robin||U15.email@example.com|
|U18 NBC 2||Nov 25th-27th||4 team firstname.lastname@example.org|
|U18 BC 2||Dec 2nd-4th||4 team email@example.com|
Tournament Tools, Here are some tools to help you run your tournament a little easier!
- Tournament Board - Schedule & Standings (4-Teams): This file can be edited & printed in a very large poster format. Just enter the Dates/Times & team logos as required.
- Tournament Board - Schedule & Standings (6-Teams): This file can be edited & printed in a very large poster format. Just enter the Dates/Times & team logos as required.
- Tournament Program (4-teams): Edit the Rosters & Schedule info as required.
- Tournament Program (6-teams): Edit the Rosters & Schedule info as required.
- Tournament Dressing Room Door Signs: Always a nice touch... Update this file with your team & tournament logos. Then Laminate to put on the dressing room doors before each game.
- Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission: This is a link to the AGLC website for information on obtaining licenses and the guidelines for hosting team fundraising raffles. NOTE: you are required to obtain your own license and not to access Springbank Minor Hockey Association's private one
Examples of other tournament Boards:
32224A Springbank Road,
Calgary, Alberta T3Z 2L9