As per Hockey Albera, all Local Minor Hockey Associations and Club Teams must ensure by November 15th, all Teams meet the requirements outlined in the chart below. Any Team that does not meet the requirements outlined within the Hockey Alberta regulations is not an eligible team and is not able to participate in sanctioned games.
To head-coach at the PWAA level (this year or down the road) you must have taken "COACH - DEVELOPMENT 1".
Once the certification deadline passes, any team that does not meet the required certifications for their Team Officials will be notified that they are ineligible to participate until they have obtained the proper certifications.
Coaches are required to ensure they have the required certifications. Please review the information in the links below and ensure tall your requirements are completed.
Coach Selection Process
SMHA has a committee to look at the overall evaluation process and to implement guidelines and practices to ensure a fair and complete evaluation. As part of that initiative the committee also came up with some initial guidelines on the coach selection process.
SHMA Coaching Clinics
COACH CERTIFICATIONS CLINIC TO BE HELD AT SPRINGBANK PARK FOR ALL SEASONS
Hello Coaches and Assistant Coaches, again this year Springbank Minor Hockey will be offering Coach Certification Clinics at Springbank Park for All Seasons.
The document outlines the requirements for the 2020-21 hockey season as approved by Hockey Alberta and Hockey Calgary.
To find out what clinics you have already completed, please go to the link;https://ehockey.hockeycanada.ca/ehockey/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fehockey%2fDefault.aspx
Note that Springbank Minor Hockey does not have access to your password for Hockey Canada.
Upcoming SMHA sponsored clinics:
Coach Level#1 Oct 10th
Classroom: 9am - 1pm Springbank Drypad
On-Ice: 1:30 pm -3:00 pm Joe Phillips
Coach Level #2 Oct 17th
Classroom: 9 am - 5 pm Springbank Drypad
On-Ice: 1:30 pm - 3 pm JoePhillips
Checking Oct 17th
Classroom: 9 am - 5 pm Springbank Drypad
On-Ice: 5 pm - 6:30 pm Red Dutton
Goalie coach Oct 20th
Classroom: 6:30 pm - 8: 00 pm Springbank Drypad
On-Ice: 8:15 pm - 9:54 pm Red Dutton
Each link provides details of time, date, location, what to bring and pre-requisites. Coach 1 is not a pre-requisite for Coach 2. There are HU-ONLINE courses to complete before the classroom sessions.
Please note 10 days before each clinic, Hockey Calgary will open up the registration to allow coaches outside SMHA to register.
The “Safety Program” certification is an online module and can be completed via the link: https://www.hockeyalberta.ca/coaches/clinic-information/hockey-canada-safety-program/
The “Respect In Sport – Coach” certification is also an online module and can be completed via the link: https://ha.respectgroupinc.com/
Note that Springbank Minor Hockey does not have access to your password for the Respect in Sport Group. Also, this mandatory certification is different from “Respect in Sport – Parent”, which one parent in each family must complete.
Also a reminder, if you have not completed RIS Parent or RIS Coach in the last 4 years, you are due to re-certify. If you are unsure, please login to your account https://www.hockeyalberta.ca/members/respect-sport/
SMHA POLICE INFORMATION CHECKS
Police Information Checks (Due Nov 15)
Please read through the information below for SMHA Police Checks.
- SMHA requires all Coaches, Assistant Coaches, on ice helpers and Managers to have a current Police Check. (Vulnerable Sector Check Required) Police Checks are valid for 3 years with SMHA.
- Please email administrator@springbankhockey.
com to receive your Volunteer letter and information to begin the on line process.
- If you reside in Bragg Creek, Harmony or Redwood Meadows you will need to complete your check at the Cochrane Detachment. You still require a volunteer letter to bring with you. Please email administrator@springbankhockey.
com to receive your letter.
- All Police Checks must be completed by November 15, 2020. If you require a secondary check it must be completed by December 1, 2020.
The Vice President of Hockey will only consider coaching applications from applicants who meet all the necessary requirements including coaching certifications and a current police check. Failure to complete the police check by the deadline will result in removal from your position without exception.
If you have any questions or want to check the status of your current Police Check with SMHA please contact Angela at the information below.
Police Check Administrator, SMHA
Code of Conduct - Coaches
Fair Play Code of Conduct for Coaches
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials, and opponents.
- I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support, and playing time
- I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly.
- I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.
32224A Springbank Road,
Calgary, Alberta T3Z 2L9